Monday, November 19, 2007

Wha?

I am blogging because I am exhausted and I am trying to self motivate. It isn't that I haven't gotten anything done today. On the contrary, I even managed to make the first cornhusk doll I have made in a while. Which reminds me . . . It seems that the population of tamale eating folk in Brattleboro, Vermont is somewhere around zero. I cannot find a single solitary husk in all the county. I know this because, I drove around looking. Everywhere. I was at one of the larger groceries in town and the woman behind me in line said "Oh, no tamales?". I thought her comment was indicative of candor. So, I simply remarked, "I guess there are no Mexican people in Vermont". She gave me quite a look! I am not so sure about Vermont. It reminds me of Seattle with the political correctness and Kansas with the tight lipped regard. Strange combination. In Kansas it was don't ask any questions and the only safe topic is the weather (as long as you don't mention global warming). In Seattle it was ask all the questions you want and nod and sigh alot so people know you are listening and are sensitive to their plight, and on occasion you need to say "Oh, MY GOD, that is like TOTALLY FUCKED UP!". In Vermont it seems you can ask questions. BUT, no jokes. Everything is serious. Nod, but remain pensive. And when asked how your are doing - don't share any details that would force someone to respond with any emotion. That is kind of like an automatic shut off switch for the entire conversation. Example:

"How are you Jane, Liking Vermont?"

"I'm sad, (this is where they stopped listening) my cat seems to have run away."

"huh. That's too bad. Have you been up to Mt. Snow before?"

No comments: