Saturday, November 3, 2007

Random Threads

When I was a girl my friend's mother used to always tell me "Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you are up to." She even bought me a bumper sticker that had that phrase printed on it. I remember it was green with yellow print.

Last week, I was asked to pose for a picture of "Just her smile". I wonder if he got my eyes? I think my smile is different without the eyes squinting up to nothing. I have noticed my entire face changes when I smile. I never really took considerable notice until recently. I received a comment on another website where I have multiple images of myself posted. She wrote, "You look so different. I can't believe it!" The only difference is, I'm smiling. Unless she perhaps is referring to the purple suit jacket I am wearing.

My mini tribe is a tribe of smiles. My companion has dimples that, when not hidden under facial hair, delight any who may have a chance to gaze at his grin. His eyes are often referenced by friends and relations as being "peaceful". My daughter has those eyes, except her eyes are often referenced as "mischievous" or "piercing"or "deep". Strange. They are really the same shape and color as her father's. It is how she uses them perhaps, and not actually the physicality of her eye people mean to describe. My son . . . well, mostly he is called "gorgeous" and people always focus their attention on the thickness and length of his eye lashes. Looking to one parent and then the other they inquire, "Whose eyes are these?", thinking that they should pass on their praises to the source of the DNA responsible for creating such a face.

I never read, or saw, any actual research on the topic. However, I was told once that testing was done on babies recording their reactions to different face shapes, expressions, and "archetypes" of beauty. I have seen documentary work on human development however, and babies seem to learn conversation by mimicking expressions.

Anyway, Smile.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you know, i was just sitting here thinking, " I could really use a new post from Era"...how nice of you to oblige my unspoken wish...

A long ago Welsh friend offered me his version of similar advice - which is that if you want to look attractive, you should jsut go around thinking "naughty thoughts"...by that he meant not only sexual, but just somehow devious/mischevious/ or ornery...that it not only makes you look up to something, but quite possibly up "for" something...

I'm sure I have no idea what he meant by that *smirk*