Thursday, November 3, 2011

Believing in something

The crows are back. Building their fucking nest on the roof again.

I was sitting on the front porch the other day and a white owl left the branch of a tree nearby and flew over my head. It was not dark outside so, I saw the owl clearly. It was odd not as much for the time of day but, because I live in a heavily populated area near a loud highway with little green spaces.

The following day, a dragonfly visited me about the same time and place. No water nearby. No lakes, ponds or pools. Just the dragonfly. Beautiful and blue.

I already know the historical significance of these animals within the world of talismans and symbolism so I am not looking for information on those aspects of these moments. I make no claim that I have had a deep spiritual experience - I make no claim that I didn't. It is just that lately I have been a bit more noticing of things and there seemed to be recognition that meaning existed in those moments if I go looking for it.

But, I want to know . . . why was I triggered by these moments? These creatures? I still hold back when it comes to answering such enigmatic questions. I am waiting for the story to be longer. The claims I would make now are premature. But, I believe in something . . . something.

The claim I make today is this: That something that may already be shifting can be recognized by the person in the middle of a transition more easily when externally triggered to take note. Now I am waiting to find out what that shift really is.

Until that time comes, and I have lived to tell the tale marked by these moments, I will just keep hoping that I am right. And I will keep believing in . . . something.

No comments: