Friday, October 14, 2011

Occupy my Apartment

I have limited access to communication devices lately and as a result have limited numbers of minutes to spend on social networking sites (which I don't spend a ton of time on to begin with) or even to check the news. But, I have read bits and pieces about Occupy Wall Street. I have seen that there are articles debating the relevance of this protest and I am not shocked by any of the commentary. Who are these people? What are they doing? Is it useful? Is it meaningful? Will it change anything? Are there bathrooms? All good questions.

I am not on Wall Street and have not gone out to "Occupy San Diego" either. I cannot - just now. Just now, I am working to avoid becoming homeless. Just now, I am looking for work and 'hustling' to get my bills paid. Just now, I am spending hours meeting with case workers and family charities and standing in food lines. Just now, I do not have time to show up with a sign and be part of a movement where people are talking about why the system isn't working and wanting to know why other's don't care enough that the system isn't working to do something about it.

I am a hard working, intelligent, creative, college educated woman. I am married to a brilliant man with a BA, BS, Master's degree, and Juris Doctorate, whose vision of justice could change the world. If this system isn't broken - then why the hell are we unemployed?

Everyday, we are optimistic and working toward a positive outcome. But, if nothing changes for us, in another week, we will have to make a decision to sell our stuff and figure out where to sleep. I will not have time to hold a sign then either. So this is my sign. I am tired and worn to the bone. My feet hurt, my head hurts, I can't sleep. I am sad and scared and I am waiting for something to get better. I am the 9.1%.

No comments: