Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Percival Everett wrote some books I like

I don't write fan letters. I am generally not the fan type. I don't tend to see others as more or less worthy of attention but I do have favorites if pressed to express preferences. For example as writers go, Zora Neale Hurston is at the top of my list. I appreciate creatively written non-fiction and imaginative works of fiction. I do not enjoy dry intellectual writing steeped in the academy - even though it does not go over my head - I think the addressing of ideas in circular narratives with redundant meanings uses up paper and helps few answer the real questions i.e. how to conduct ourselves or how the heck humans got here to begin with. (beware tangent) Though, I do enjoy a good conversation about discursive this and that and enigmatic blah dee blah. And further, I hate talking about the weather IF you are afraid to move on from there to talk of industry or global climate change and I love talking about babies but that does not mean it won't lead to a conversation about pedagogies. . . ANYway, I think that is why I like Mr. Everett's writing. I don't know the man but I like his writing. His tall tales are delightful and his characters are not boring. He writes about middle places (in my mind they are middle places, probably because I like the idea of middle and not polar). His novel Erasure is so damn smart. There are some things his character said I really liked . . . 1. "Behold the Invisible" 2. "Too mystified to actually be depressed" 3. "I watched his lips and realized I understood nothing he was saying. His language was not mine. His language possessed an adverbial and interrogative geometry that I could not comprehend. I could see the shapes of his meaning, even hear that his words meant something, but I had no idea as to the substance of his meaning. I nodded."
This last one was the most meaningful to me.

2 comments:

melodycurtiss said...

God. I love the way you write. I always have. Your voice is pithy, challenging, witty and bright.

melodycurtiss said...

I should have added that I love it most when it drives a stake through my heart and makes me gasp with pain. Yours or mine. Either way, you amaze me all the time.