Monday, October 1, 2007

Maybe the Princess and the Pea was about insomnia

So, fibromyalgia sucks. But, it is generally manageable. Until you can't sleep. Like the last six nights. You see it is this awful cycle of stress, sleeplessness, weather, that all effect each other. Right now, I am not sure about the weather - but, to venture a guess - it's changing from warmer to colder and possibly there is a new front coming in. Now stress - oddly enough - is usually something that doesn't keep me from sleeping. It is the joint pain and restless leg syndrome that is a side effect of the fibromyalgia that wakes me up every twenty to forty-five minutes. However, once I start to loose sleep due to pain - the stress elevates - the mind starts running a mile a minute - the agitation and irritability set in and suddenly - crap for sleep for weeks on end. The worse it's ever gotten was when we were in Albuquerque. I didn't sleep for more than one - three hours most nights and would wake up and go directly to pukeville. I lost somewhere around twenty pounds in a matter of a week or two. The funniest part of this whole drama is as I get worse and worse, people always start to comment on how great I look. It's like the destruction of my personal constitution actually causes physical side effects that people see as attractive. I think of that green (was it hair or skin) woman in Isabella Allende's book House of Spirits. MMMMmmmm. Perhaps, that is the color I should dye my hair. I was thinking more along the lines of pink or blue - but perhaps a nice green.

No comments: